Updated on July 5, 2013. The validity of this article may expire without notice.
Helen T. Brier
Toray International America Inc. (TIAM)
- Q1. What was your most impressive work?
- My most impressive work I believe is in keeping our ULTRASUEDE® trademark name current and in front of all lines of business whether it is furniture, automotive or fashion. While our product is and always has been the premier suede, marketing it year after year is a challenging task. Advertising is an expensive venture. In the past few years I have challenged myself to learn about social media. This is the wave of the future and by far the least expensive option when advertising a brand. Building a network of customers/consumers is the start and very time consuming. Once we have an audience on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest, we will be able to get our message out quickly. I recommend all of the Toray businesses to learn about social media with a goal of crossmarketing all of the wonderful products Toray Group manufactures.
- Q2. What does your company do?
- My company TIAM contains different departments that sell many products that Toray Industries, Inc. produces such as fibers and textiles, plastics and chemicals. It is a very diverse group that works together towards a common goal; to be as successful as possible while maintaining a professional and respectable reputation within every industry it sells to.
- Q3. What does your department/section do and what work are you in charge of?
- I manage the interiors section of the Ultrasuede Department. This includes furniture upholstery, both residential and contract, and transportation interiors such as recreation vehicles, aircraft and yachts. I am responsible for all sales for this section as well as the continued marketing effort that is needed to sell this very expensive item to the public. Currently I do not have any direct reports but have had many in the past. I do work closely in guiding our coordinators and customer service center in various aspects of my business.
- Q4. What kind of job do you mainly put a lot of effort into?
- I put most of my effort into sales which includes maintaining good relationships with our customers. While we have a reliable product to sell making sure that I meet my customers’ high expectations is key to my business ethics. This helps to ensure year-to-year stability for our company.
- Q5. When do you feel rewarded at work?
- I feel rewarded at the end of the month when I make my budget. In a problematic economy such as what the U.S.A. has been facing these past few years it is not an easy task but I always feel satisfied when this goal is met. I also feel rewarded when I hear from customers/consumers and they tell me how much they love ULTRASUEDE®. It is an extraordinary product that is truly the best in the market and I am proud to sell it.
- Q6. What is it that you put a lot of effort into in your personal life?
- Family is very important to me. I have a very large family and we all live close to each other. We see each other quite often. My husband and I work together each year in our garden. We love to grow vegetables and always challenge ourselves each year with something new. We are very successful growing tomatoes which is a favorite of mine. Last year we tried eggplant which was a success. I also love to read and have an extensive library in my home.