Updated on July 6, 2015. The validity of this article may expire without notice.
Lau Ming Ley
Information Systems Division
Toray Industries (Malaysia) Sdn. Berhad (TML)
- Q1. What was your most impressive work?
- My most impressive work was to participate in different projects for different Group companies of Toray Group in Malaysia―Penfabric Sdn. Berhad (PAB), Penfibre Sdn. Berhad (PFR) and Toray Plastics (Malaysia) Sdn. Berhad (TPM). In my career at the Information Systems Division, I was involved in PAB’s "Aquarium" project which was to implement a product library system to store all the latest collections of new merchandize. I also had the chance to work with a consultant from Fujitsu (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. on the Oracle project for Goods and Services Tax (GST) compliance.
- Q2. What does your company do?
- Toray Malaysia Group is a group of primarily four companies engaged in the manufacturing and marketing of products―textiles, polyester staple fibre, polyester film, metalized film, battery separator film, and plastic (ABS and PBT) resin.
- Q3. What does your department/section do and what work are you in charge of?
- There are four major teams in my department―operation support (software and hardware), network, information security and project team which is to support business operations using information technology (IT) in the software and hardware perspective.
- Q4. What kind of job do you mainly put a lot of effort into?
- I put a lot of effort into the Oracle enterprise resource planning (ERP) System support and responsibility for the database administration task. This includes the Oracle ERP System user management, new database installation, cloning, Oracle applications/ database server sizing, backup and database performance monitoring.
- Q5. When do you feel rewarded at work?
- It is when I am able to learn new technology and complete a project successfully to support business changes at the same time.
- Q6. What is it that you put a lot of effort into in your personal life?
- It is reading. I put a lot of time into looking for different kinds of reading material including new technology, philosophy, time management and science fiction.