Updated on July 14, 2014. The validity of this article may expire without notice.
Technical Department, PET Film Division
Toray Films Europe S.A.S. (TFE)
- Q1. What was your most impressive work?
- As a new process engineer in TFE, I was impressed by the number and accuracy of parameters required to produce technical plastic films. My managers gave me full responsibility very quickly: I am project leader for the improvement of the quality of a 12µ film and improvement of line performance for better customer satisfaction.
- Q2. What does your company do?
- TFE produces technical plastic films (PET and OPP [oriented polypropylene] films) that are used every day. For example, industrial films used for solar panels or for thermal transfer ribbons, and packaging films used for lid film for yoghourt, for board lamination or snacks.
- Q3. What does your department/section do and what work are you in charge of?
- I am production technical engineer in the Technical Department of PET Film Division. I am managing the technical team for two production lines. Our job consists of troubleshooting, process improvement and production development of new films. I am the link between Production, Maintenance, Quality, Development, Engineering and Customers Service departments.
- Q4. What kind of job do you mainly put a lot of effort into?
- I have to understand how the lines work and to look for the parameters that guarantee stable running. People in TFE used to say that at least one year is needed to discover how a line works, but that even after 10 years, you will still discover new things every day.
- Q5. When do you feel rewarded at work?
- I do feel rewarded when I work with motivated people, walking together in order to improve our performance.
- Q6. What is it that you put a lot of effort into in your personal life?
- In my personal life, I love playing music: I have been a self-taught trumpet player in a brass band for three years. That enabled me to travel a lot and also meet many people. I also love sports and play judo (brown belt) and soccer on a mixed team.