Toray Group Corporate Social ResponsibilityManagement Philosophy and CSR
Under a corporate philosophy of "contributing to society through the creation of new value with innovative ideas, technologies and products," the Toray Group has from the beginning pledged to have a positive impact on society through its business, realizing its corporate social responsibility and management philosophy at the same time.
Management Philosophy and Code of Conduct
Corporate Ethics and Legal Compliance Code of Conduct(Adopted October 2003 and revised December 2015)
- 1. Contribute to society
As a company aspiring to create new value, provide trustworthy products and services that satisfy our customers.
- 2. Communicate with society
Communicate with the various parties associated with the company, including its customers and shareholders as well as members of the local community. Actively and fairly disclose pertinent information about the company.
- 3. Behave as a good corporate citizen
Comply with laws and regulations, respect human rights, and actively contribute to society as a good corporate citizen.
- 4. Play an active role in preserving the global environment
Recognize that playing an active role in preserving the global environment is an important management issue, and strive to coexist with the environment in all corporate activities by conserving energy, reducing emissions and waste, promoting recycling, and so forth.
- 5. Prioritize fairness and trust in corporate activities
Engage in proper trade based on free, fair, and transparent market competition, and conduct corporate activities that earn the deep trust of society.
- 6. Comply with national laws and regulations
Pursue management reform from a global perspective, comply with the respective national laws and regulations in overseas operations, and be self-disciplined with high ethical standards. Conduct corporate activities with respect to the culture and customs of each country and contribute to the advancement of local communities.
- 7. Raise motivation and create a corporate culture that lets employees demonstrate their ability
Strive to create a corporate environment that allows each and every employee to be motivated to demonstrate their ability, respect individual human rights, character, and personality, and maximize creativity and professionalism.
- 8. Break off relations with antisocial forces
Always work for the good of society, break off relations with antisocial forces that threaten the order and safety of civil society, and take a resolute stand as a unified company.
Toray Group Policy for Human Rights(Adopted December 2017)
We at Toray Group believe that respect for human rights is a mandatory principle for corporate management. Therefore, we respect international standards such as the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Labor Organization’s standards in compliance with the laws and regulations of countries and regions where we operate, and will endeavor to fulfill our duty of respect for human rights as a good corporate citizen.
- 1. We will respect human rights, character and individuality of employees and eliminate harassment and discrimination in workplaces. Furthermore, we will prohibit child labor, forced labor and unfair low-wage labor.
- 2. We will strive to promote respect for human rights throughout the entire supply chain related to our business activities. In addition, we will not be complicit in infringing on the human rights.
- 3. We will endeavor to understand adverse human rights impacts associated with our business activities and to avoid or reduce such influences.
- 4. If it becomes evident that we have caused or contributed to adverse human rights impacts, we will promptly take appropriate actions.
- 5. We will promote educational activities about issues of human rights for every employee and foster a proper understanding of issues among them.
Ten Basic Environmental Rules(Adopted January 2000 and revised June 2011)
- 1. Prioritize environmental preservation
We shall comply with all laws, regulations, and agreements in all of our business activities. Taking into consideration biodiversity, we shall place the highest priority on environmental preservation in the manufacture, handling, use, sale, transport, and waste disposal of products.
- 2. Prevent global warming
We shall promote energy conservation and work to reduce our unit energy consumption and our carbon dioxide emissions.
- 3. Achieve zero emissions of environmental pollutants
We shall strive continuously to reduce our emissions with the ultimate goal of achieving zero emissions of hazardous chemical substances and waste materials into the environment.
- 4. Use safer chemical substances
We shall collect, maintain, and provide information on the health and environmental effects of the chemical substances we handle while striving to use safer chemical substances.
- 5. Promoting Recycling
We shall develop recycling technologies for products, containers, and packaging and cooperate with society in promoting the recovery and reuse of such items.
- 6. Improve the level of environmental management
We shall work to maintain and improve the level of our environmental management while working to upgrade our environmental management technology and skills, performing self auditing, and taking other measures.
- 7. Contribute to society through environmental improvement technologies and products
We shall meet the challenge of developing new technologies and shall contribute to society through environmental improvement technologies as well as products that place a low burden on the environment.
- 8. Improve the environmental management of our overseas businesses
In our overseas business activities, we shall place top priority on complying with local laws and regulations, and further, we shall manage those businesses in accordance with the management standards of the Toray Group.
- 9. Improve employees' environmental awareness
We shall strive to improve our employees' awareness of environmental issues through environmental education, social activities, internal communications activities, and other means.
- 10. Share environmental information with society
We shall deepen mutual understanding of Toray Group environmental policies and practices by widely publicizing our environmental preservation efforts and their results in environmental reports and other publications directed at local communities, investors, and the media.