Updated on Apr. 7, 2015. The validity of this article may expire without notice.
Toray Carbon Fibers America, Inc. (CFA)
- Q1. What was your most impressive work?
- I was selected to join the startup team for the Polymerization and Recovery units of Toray Carbon Fibers Europe S.A. (CFE)’s new Spinning Department in 2013 and 2014. Working with Japanese and French colleagues to bring the new process into production was one of the most rewarding and educational experiences of my career. I built many long-lasting relationships with the people involved.
- Q2. What does your company do?
- CFA produces carbon fiber, which is used for many industrial, sports, and commercial applications. Our primary customer is the Boeing Company, who uses our fiber for 787s!
- Q3. What does your department/section do and what work are you in charge of?
- I am the Assistant Manager of the Technical Engineering Department for Spinning. I help design, start up and educate employees regarding our process units and any new technology that is added to them. I manage several engineers and technicians who make sure the facility runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Q4. What kind of job do you mainly put a lot of effort into?
- I put significant effort into improving processing knowledge across the plant. As an engineer, it is my job to help CFA’s employees do their jobs better and more efficiently!
- Q5. When do you feel rewarded at work?
- The best feeling is when a well thought out plan is implemented effectively, on schedule, and my group achieves successful results. At that time, I personally feel that all the time, effort, and hard work is all worth it.
- Q6. What is it that you put a lot of effort into in your personal life?
- My three biggest hobbies are music, food, and travel. I have been to several countries in Europe including France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom. I have also traveled to Japan several times, and have been throughout the United States. During every trip, I always make sure to try local cuisines and find new bands to enjoy. It is always incredibly enjoyable showing my family and friends the new things I have discovered while abroad!