Basic Policy on Internal Control System
To realize the Management Philosophy, the Company shall establish a structure to execute its business legally and effectively by improving its internal control system according to the following basic policy as a structure to enable it to appropriately establish organization, formulate regulations, communicate information, and monitor the execution of operations.
1. System to ensure that the execution of duties by members of the Board and employees complies with laws and regulations and the Company’s Articles of Incorporation
- (1) Toray shall establish the Corporate Ethics and Compliance Committee, as one of the Group-wide committees to promote observance of corporate ethics and legal compliance, and shall take other measures to improve the required internal systems, including the establishment of dedicated organizations.
- (2) Toray shall establish the Corporate Ethics and Compliance Code of Conduct as specific provisions to be observed by members of the Board and employees, and shall take other measures to improve the required guidelines, etc. Especially with regard to eliminating relations with antisocial forces, the Company shall act as one to stand firmly against them.
- (3) Toray shall establish an internal reporting system (whistle-blowing system) for the reporting of the discovery of violation of laws, regulations, or the Company’s Articles of Incorporation.
- (4) Toray shall establish Security Trade Control Program, one of the most important legal compliance issues, and establish an organization dedicated to security export control.
2. System to ensure the efficient execution of duties by members of the Board and employees
- (1) Toray shall establish the Authority of Top Management to stipulate matters with respect to which decision-making authority is reserved by the Board of Directors and matters with respect to which decision-making is delegated to the President, General Managers, etc., from among matters necessary for decision-making.
- (2) Toray shall establish the Executive Committee as deliberative organs for important matters decided by the Board of Directors or the President. The Executive Committee shall deliberate on the general direction of policy or issues related to implementation.
3. System for preserving and managing information pertaining to the execution of duties by the members of the Board and employees
- (1) Toray shall establish regulations for important documents and important information related to management, confidential information and personal information, and appropriately preserve and manage them in accordance with the rules.
4. Regulations and other systems pertaining to controls over risks of loss
- (1) In order to identify potential risks in business activities, strive to mitigate such risks under normal business conditions, and prevent future crises, Toray shall establish the Risk Management Committee as one of the Group-wide committees to promote company-wide risk management, and improve regulations to enable immediate implementation in the event of a major crisis.
- (2) Toray shall establish an internal control system for financial reporting that ensures the reliability of financial reporting.
5. System for ensuring appropriate business operations within subsidiaries
- (1) To establish a system under which subsidiaries report to the Company on matters regarding the execution of duties by members of the Board, etc. of the subsidiaries, the Company shall provide regulations on the regular reporting of important management information to the Company and regularly hold conferences at which the Company’s management receives direct reports on the status of the management of the subsidiaries.
- (2) To establish regulations and other systems pertaining to controls over risks of loss for subsidiaries, the Company shall provide subsidiaries with guidance to help them to establish risk management systems appropriate for their respective business forms and business environments, and shall receive regular reports on the status of their activities.
- (3) To establish a system for ensuring that members of the Board, etc. of subsidiaries effectively execute their duties, the Company shall provide regulations on the scope under which the Company can reserve its authority over the execution of business operations. In addition, the Company shall endeavor to grasp management information in a unified manner and provide assistance and guidance necessary for subsidiaries by determining divisions, etc. with control over its respective subsidiaries.
- (4) To establish a system for ensuring that the execution of duties by members of the Board, etc. and employees of subsidiaries complies with laws and regulations and the Articles of Incorporation, the Company shall thoroughly familiarize its subsidiaries with the Company’s Corporate Ethics and Compliance Code of Conduct as a code of conduct in common for the Toray Group. At the same time, the Company shall request the subsidiaries to establish their own codes of conduct, guidelines, etc. in consideration of the laws and regulations, business practices, business forms, and other factors in their respective countries. In addition, the Company shall direct its subsidiaries to establish systems under which the status of internal whistle-blowing by members of the Board, etc. and employees of the subsidiaries is appropriately reported to the Company.
6. System for reporting to corporate auditors and systems for ensuring that persons who report to corporate auditors are not treated disadvantageously because of their reporting
- (1) Members of the Board, etc. and employees of Toray Group and corporate auditors of subsidiaries shall report matters regarding the execution of duties to corporate auditors in response to requests from the corporate auditors.
- (2) Department in charge of the internal reporting system (whistle-blowing system) shall regularly report the status of internal whistle-blowing in the Toray Group to the corporate auditors.
- (3) Toray shall stipulate regulations to the effect that members of the Board and employees who report to corporate auditors shall not be subjected to any disadvantageous treatment because of the said reporting, and shall provide subsidiaries with guidance to help them stipulate the same regulations.
7. Items pertaining to the handling of expenses and liabilities arising from the execution of duties by corporate auditors
- (1) Toray shall pay expenses, etc. incurred from the execution of duties by corporate auditors.
8.Items pertaining to employees assisting with corporate auditors’ duties, items pertaining to the independence of said employees from members of the Board, and items pertaining to the assurance of effectiveness of instructions from the corporate auditors to said employees
- (1) Toray shall assign a full-time employee to provide assistance if and when corporate auditors request assistance. The said employee shall exclusively follow the corporate auditors’ commands and instructions, and the Company shall consult with corporate auditors in advance with respect to the personnel arrangements for the said employee.
9. Other systems for ensuring effective implementation of audits by corporate auditors
- (1) Corporate auditors shall attend Board of Directors meetings and other important meetings so that they may ascertain important decision-making processes and the execution of operations.
- (2) Corporate auditors shall hold regular meetings with members of the Board and management and conduct regular visiting audits of Toray offices, plants, and subsidiaries.