CSR Guidelines & Activity Reports - Social Contribution Activities
Environment and Communities
Toray Group leverages the specialized technologies and human resources of its Green Innovation businesses to support environmental education. The Group is also working with community stakeholders on environmental preservation activities to encourage social efforts to foster biodiversity.
Raising Environmental Awareness, with a Focus on Water Issues
Toray Group has developed original environmental education programs for elementary and junior high school students. Group employees from diverse professional backgrounds including engineering, research, sales, and management give workshops. In fiscal 2018, the Group offered workshops at 29 schools in local communities.
In March 2019, the Company gave a workshop for fifth grade students at Toshima Municipal Nagasaki Elementary School in Tokyo. One student said, “It's amazing that the science we learn in the classroom becomes science and technology that is useful to our lives, helping people worldwide.”
Local Environmental Preservation Activities
In addition to activities focused on preserving the natural environment around Toray Group production sites, employees also take part in river and coastline cleanup and tree planting campaigns in collaboration with municipalities, towns, villages, and non-profit organizations. The Group helps promote employee understanding of environmental and biodiversity issues by including talks by non-profit organizations in conjunction with these activities.
- Toray employees clean up the shoreline in Tagonoura, Japan as part of the introductory training for new employees (Toray Industries, Inc.)
- The Toray head office collaborates with the non-profit Arakawa Clean Aid Forum to clean up the shores of the Arakawa River, while educating participants about impacts on the global environment and ecosystems (Toray Industries, Inc.)
- Environmental classes at a local middle school near its headquarters and plant in Tacoma, Washington, USA (Toray Composite Materials America, Inc.)
- Employees plant mangroves to conserve a mangrove forest (Carbon Magic (Thailand) Co., Ltd.)
- Coral reef conservation project at Yao Beach, Sattahip Province, Thailand (Toray Plastics Precision (Thailand) Co., Ltd.)
- River bank conservation initiatives in Seoul, the Republic of Korea (Toray Advanced Materials Korea Inc.)
Promoting Communication Between Education and Business
Hazard-prediction training at Mishima Plant (Toray Industries, Inc.)
As part of the Keizai Koho Center's Business Training for Japanese School Teachers program, Toray Industries has accepted around ten teachers each year in Shizuoka Prefecture since 1994. The participants learn about the Company’s corporate philosophy and human resources development, and study research, production, safety, and environmental conservation at Toray Industries’ Mishima Plant, as well as visiting the production floor. One participant said, “I learned about the efforts of a private sector company, which will make a big difference in the instruction that I provide to students.” Complimentary feedback like this indicates that participants are using what they learn in this program in their classrooms.
Ongoing Support in Areas Affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake
Toray Group continues to provide support for areas affected by disaster through initiatives that make the most of its own resources.
Vocational Research Support for Junior High School Students (Toray Industries)
Researcher from the Toray Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories gives a talk (July 2018)
Since 2012, Toray Industries has sent researchers each year to Career Challenge Day1, a career education event held in Ofunato City, Iwate Prefecture. Representatives from the Company speak with local junior high school students and explain the nature of the R&D work done at a manufacturer.
- 1 Career Challenge Day is an alternative program for the workplace experience education that was no longer possible after the Great East Japan Earthquake. In fiscal 2012, the program was awarded the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Award.
Volleyball Clinic (Toray Industries Tohoku Branch, Toray Arrows)
Kana Oyama teaches class at Tomigaya Elementary School
Since 2013, the Tohoku Branch of Toray Industries has used volleyball as a means of providing support for local reconstruction efforts. In June 2018, ex-national team member Kana Oyama and other former players of the Toray Arrows volleyball team taught children at Tomigaya Elementary School in Tomigaya City and Akai-minami Elementary School in Higashi Matsushima City, Miyagi Prefecture about the joys of physical activity and teamwork.
Assisting Areas Devastated by Heavy Rains in July 2018
In July 2018, heavy rains caused devastation in parts of western Japan, particularly in Ehime Prefecture and Hiroshima Prefecture, which are home to some of the Company’s plants and offices. Toray Industries provided financial aid to these areas and donated Toray Group products made from advanced materials to aid in their recovery. The items included tents made of SUMMER SHIELD™ fabric with heat, light, and ultraviolet shielding, LIVMOA™ protective clothing that offers dust protection and breathability, and gloves made from Kevlar® that have excellent strength and superior resistance to cutting and heat.
- LIVMOA™protective clothing offers excellent dust protection and breathability
- Gloves made from Kevlar®
Note: Kevlar® is a registered trademark of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company.
Diverse Community Initiatives
Toray Group engages in diverse initiatives to build better communities, as a responsible corporate citizen that is committed to the advancement of communities.
- Desks are donated to students at nearby elementary and junior high schools in collaboration with other Japanese companies in the Sri City Industrial Site in India. (Toray Industries (India) Private Limited)
- Donating relief supplies and aid for victims of the Sulawesi earthquake in Indonesia (Penfabric Sdn. Berhad, Malaysia)