CSR Guidelines & Activity Reports - Safety, Accident Prevention, and Environmental Preservation
Fiscal 2018 Environmental Accounting Report (Toray Industries)
Toray Industries, Inc. has been practicing environmental accounting since 1999, to track investments and gauge their cost effectiveness.
In fiscal 2018, the Company's environment-related investment amounted to 1.26 billion yen, down 0.76 billion yen compared to the previous year. Cost totaled 6.98 billion yen, up 0.17 billion yen compared to the previous year.
Fiscal 2018 Environmental Accounting Report (Toray Industries, Inc.)
|Item||Subcategory and description||Investment (million yen)||Cost (million yen)|
|Business area costs||Pollution prevention costs||Air (including CFC countermeasures)||96||1,959|
|Noise and vibration||14||8|
|Odors and other||128||170|
|Global environment conservation costs||Energy conservation and combating global warming||334||-|
|Resource recycling costs||Industrial waste reduction, recycling, disposal, and PCB waste disposal services||11||1,433|
|Upstream and downstream costs||Product recycling||0||0|
|Container and package recycling||0||1|
|Management activity costs||Indirect labor costs, ISO certification and maintenance, environmental communications, and education||0||444|
|Social initiative costs||Regional initiatives, support for organizations, etc.||0||86|
|Environmental remediation costs||SOx fines, soil purification, etc.||0||180|
|Item||Amount (million yen)|
|Financial effects||Reduction in energy costs||179|
|Reduction in industrial waste disposal costs||27|
|Sale of valuable recycled resources with monetary value||618|
|Quantitative environmental effects||Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions||9,500 tons-CO2eq|
Facility Investment in Safety, Health, Accident Prevention, and Environmental Preservation Projects (Toray Group)
Toray Group reports on facility investments relating to safety, health, accident prevention, and environmental preservation projects. Continuous investments included equipment security upgrades and upgrading fire protection and fire extinguishing equipment. Investments in environmental preservation included the installation of improving gas emissions and wastewater treatment facilities.
Toray Industries Environmental Accounting Standards
- Some categories were changed based on the Ministry of the Environment's Guidelines for FY2005.
- Only economic effects that can be determined with a high degree of certainty are included in the calculation. Presumed effects are not included.
- Capital investment also includes facility investments for which environmental preservation is not the main objective. Capital investment resulting from leases is also included. Expenses include labor costs and depreciation. However, internal labor costs related to local volunteer activities are not included.
- Energy cost reduction figures show the amount of reduction for the 12 months after the completion of an energy conservation facility. Expenses are not recorded as they are deducted when the effect is calculated.
- Waste disposal cost reduction figures show the amount of reduction achieved through waste reduction efforts and resource recycling for 12 months after the measures are undertaken.
- Effects of reducing greenhouse gas emissions are measured over a 12-month period following the completion of measures or facilities to conserve energy.