Toray Industries, Inc.
Tokyo, Japan, May 31, 2023 – Toray Industries, Inc., announced today that it has signed a four-year global partnership agreement with star Japanese sprinter Abdul Hakim Sani Brown. Under this arrangement, he will receive support from Toray and appear in its advertisements while helping develop materials and taking part in its social contribution initiatives. Toray will also support his interest in contributing to inclusiveness in sport and society at large and in collaborating in the company’s sustainability endeavors.
|Toray is a diversified chemicals company engaging in fibers and textiles, functional chemicals, carbon fiber composites, environment and engineering, life sciences, and other fields. Since starting out in 1926, it has provided vital environmental solutions around the world by innovating advanced materials. Mr. Sani Brown is a prominent sprinter. At the 2022 World Championships in Oregon, he finished seventh in the 100-meters final, the best placing for a Japanese entrant in 90 years. He is doing his utmost to perform even better on the world stage.
Commenting on the new arrangement, Akihiro Nikkaku, president of Toray, said that, “We are delighted to form this partnership with Abdul Hakim, which reflects a shared desire to pursue international excellence. He is doing his utmost to become the world’s top sprinter, an effort that has greatly impressed us. We aim to go beyond the limits in R&D in striving to become a leading global integrated chemicals manufacturer that improves the world with new materials.”
Mr. Sani Brown said that, “I look forward to cultivating this global partnership agreement with Toray in striving to be the best in my sport and win medals internationally. The company has long been committed to addressing environmental issues and persistently pushing the limits of technology. That latter quality is also essential to success in sprinting. I look forward to collaborating with Toray to pursue sustainability initiatives and contribute to inclusiveness in athletics and other areas of sport and in daily life that could benefit young people and society at large.”
Toray and Mr. Sani Brown will share their insights in together building a sports partnership model that goes beyond mere sponsorship, co-creating value in pursuing perfection and contributing to a better world for generations to come.
Profile of Abdul Hakim Sani Brown
- Born in Fukuoka on March 6, 1999, to a Japanese mother and Ghanaian father
- Set new records in winning 100m and 200m titles at 9th IAAF World Youth Championships 2015
- Finished seventh (with time of 20.63 seconds) in 200m final at 2017 World Athletics Championships
- In September 2017, he entered University of Florida and competed in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championships
- Won 100m title (in 9.99 seconds) at 2019 SEC Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Arkansas
- Finished third in 100m (in 9.97 seconds) and 200m (in 20.08 seconds) at 2019 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Texas
- Turned professional in November 2019
- Finished seventh in 100m final at the 2022 World Championships in Oregon (highest finish for Japanese athlete in 90 years of International Competitions)
- Won 100m (2017, 2019, and 2022) and 200m (2017 and 2019) at Japan Championships in Athletics
- Official personal bests: 60m (6.54 seconds), 100m (9.97 seconds), and 200m (20.08 seconds)