CSR Activity Report (CSR Guideline Activity Reports)
Facilitating CSR Initiatives Throughout the Supply Chain
Promote CSR initiatives in areas including environmental preservation and human rights throughout the entire supply chain by working closely with suppliers, processing vendors, customers and distribution companies.
Toray Group operates a wide range of businesses in countries and regions around the world. As a result, its procurement of raw materials and supplies and the locations and industries of its contractors and suppliers are diverse.
At the same time, CSR initiatives in today’s global society are increasingly important. They have become more diverse and advanced in the effort to address climate change, environmental protection, respect for human rights and improvements to the labor environment. These initiatives can no longer focus solely on a single company, and are being extended to encompass its entire supply chain.
To address this issue and ensure stable and sustainable procurement, Toray Group has established the Toray Group CSR Procurement Policies. The policies specify the Group’s commitment to building a supply chain that not only ensures quality and supply stability, but also incorporates ethical, environmental, social and human rights considerations. Accompanying the policies, the Group has also formulated Toray Group CSR Procurement Guidelines to provide specific, detailed guidelines for action to further promote CSR throughout the supply chain. Suppliers are required to comply with the guidelines.
Toray Group CSR Procurement PoliciesRevised March 20221
- Establish an internal CSR organization to facilitate CSR initiatives throughout the supply chain and sincerely committed to it.
- Promote fair transactions grounded in corporate ethics, and comply fully with all laws and regulations, as well as social norms inside and outside Japan, when making purchases.
- Take into account the impacts that purchasing activities have on the labor environment and health and safety. Also, engage in risk management through, for example, responding swiftly to unexpected situations and disclosing accurate information.
- While appropriately managing chemical substances, pursue raw materials procurement that takes into account impacts on the environment such as green procurement and green purchasing.
- Promote dialogue and cooperation with business partners and other stakeholders.
- Maintain and strive to improve product quality and safety.
- Respect human rights, eliminate all forms of discrimination, and strive to improve workplace environments. Additionally, do not be complicit in the infringement of human rights in the supply chain, such as through forced labor, slave labor, child labor, and unjust low-wage labor.
- Do not use minerals from conflict regions or high risk regions, nor minerals that clearly contribute to conflicts or infringe upon human rights.
- Prevent leaks of confidential information and respect intellectual property rights.
- In selecting business partners, take into account their CSR initiatives, such as compliance with laws and regulations, respect for human rights, environmental preservation, and the like, while seeking strict adherence to the Toray Group CSR Procurement Guidelines and facilitating CSR initiatives throughout the supply chain.
- 1 The Toray Group CSR Procurement Policies are the new and revised version of the earlier CSR Procurement Guidelines, which were formulated in 2004.
Toray Group CSR Procurement GuidelinesFormulated March 2022
The new Toray Group CSR Procurement Guidelines were formulated in March 2022 and comprise the following items.
- Ethics and Compliance
- (1) Legal Compliance
- (2) Strict Adherence to Competition Laws
- (3) Preventing Corruption and Prohibiting Bribery
- (4) Prohibition against Behavior that Presents a Conflict of Interest
- (5) Protecting Confidential Information and Personal Information
- (6) Whistle-blowing System and Whistle-blower Protections
- (7) Appropriate Import/Export Management
- (8) Respect for and Safeguarding of Intellectual Property
- (9) Appropriate Information Disclosure
- (10)Responsible Procurement of Mineral
- Safety, Accident Prevention, and Risk Management
- (1) Occupational Safety Management
- (2) Occupational Health Management
- (3) Responding in Times of Emergency
- (4) Business Continuity Plan (BCP) Initiatives
- Environmental Preservation
- (1) Environmental Management
- (2) Reduce Emissions of Greenhouse Gases
- (3) Minimize Impacts on the Environment
- (4) Resource Reduction and Waste Product Management
- (5) Chemical Substance Management
- (6) Concern for Biodiversity
- Product Quality and Safety
- (1) Maintain and Improve Quality
- (2) Product Safety
- Human Rights Promotion
- (1) Respect for Fundamental Human Rights and Elimination of Discrimination and Harassment
- (2) Prohibition of Child Labor and Due Consideration toward Young Workers
- (3) Prohibition of Forced Labor and Slave Labor
- (4) Wages and Benefits
- (5) Working Hours
- (6) Dialogue and Cooperation with Employees
- Facilitating CSR initiatives throughout the Supply Chain
- (1) Request for Initiatives to Business Partners
Policies on Purchasing and Distribution
As a manufacturer of advanced materials that supplies a wide range of materials and products, Toray Group must expand CSR initiatives into upstream management, including production facilities and the procurement of raw materials and products. It has therefore established Basic Purchasing Policies together with Basic Distribution Policies. The entire Group works to fulfill its social responsibilities relating to procurement, purchasing, and distribution. These include measures to ensure fair and equitable transactions, quality improvement, legal compliance, environmental protection, and respect for human rights.
Basic Purchasing PoliciesRevised March 2022
- Toray does its utmost to select suppliers and determine actual purchases fairly and on the basis of economic rationality, with consideration for price, quality, capability to provide stable supplies, technological capabilities, reliability, and other factors.
- In selecting suppliers, Toray opens its doors to a wide range of companies inside and outside Japan. Toray does not rely solely on vendors it has existing or past relationships with, or on members of its corporate group.
- Toray works to maintain and improve the quality of purchased products through cooperation with its suppliers.
- Toray strictly adheres to its Toray Group CSR Procurement Policies and Toray Group CSR Procurement Guidelines, and works to promote purchasing that upholds Toray’s corporate social responsibilities on a company-wide basis.
Basic Distribution PoliciesRevised March 2022
- Toray does its utmost to select transport and warehousing providers and determine individual agreements impartially and based on factors such as economic rationality with consideration given to price, quality, supply stability, technological capabilities, reliability, and efforts to reduce environmental impact.
- In selecting transport and warehousing providers, Toray opens its doors to a wide range of companies, rather than relying exclusively on companies with which we have done business in the past or companies affiliated with Toray Group.
- Toray works to cooperate with our transport and warehousing providers in gauging and reducing the environmental impact of our transport and warehousing operations.
- Toray strictly adheres to its Toray Group CSR Procurement Policies and Toray Group CSR Procurement Guidelines, and works to promote distribution activities that uphold Toray’s corporate social responsibilities on a company-wide basis.
To ensure socially responsible procurement across the Group and address today’s increasingly globalized procurement risks, Toray Industries, Inc. has established a working group to lead a group-wide risk management initiative. The working group strives to ascertain the status of CSR practices at suppliers, responds to customer inquiries about Toray Industries’ CSR practices, and supports group companies in this area. The working group also regularly reports on the progress of socially responsible procurement and related risk mitigation initiatives across the Group to the Risk Management Committee, which oversees overall risks. The issues reported are discussed by the committee members.
Further, initiatives are taken to ensure that the concept of socially responsible procurement permeates and is upheld throughout the entire Toray Group. Toray Industries, Inc. provided e-learning on CSR, including content on socially responsible procurement, for every executive and employee, including contracted, part-time, and dispatched workers, in November 2020 and February 2021. The training was taken a total of 13,947 times.
Toray Industries is also engaged in activities to spread awareness to group companies in and outside Japan by distributing internal educational materials that describe the necessity of socially responsible procurement, required activities, and examples of risks.
CSR Roadmap 2022 Targets
CSR Roadmap goals
To ensure socially responsible procurement by the Toray Group, request major suppliers and business partners to practice CSR and work with suppliers to promote greater awareness of human rights, social, and environmental issues
Main Initiatives and Key Performance Indicators
⑴ Request suppliers to practice CSR, including by conducting CSR surveys and audits, and having them make pledges, and strive to understand the status of each company’s CSR initiatives
⑵ Address issues in the supply chain such as human rights challenges and conflict mineral issues
⑶ Reduce CO2 emissions intensity from distribution activities
⑷ Promote modal shift2 across distances of 500 km or more
⑸ Continually work to reduce the environmental impact and improve the quality of distribution activities
⑹ In accordance with the Declaration of Voluntary Activities for the White Logistics Movement,3 contribute to sustainable logistics, for instance by selecting logistics companies that are engaged in working style reform, etc.
|Key Performance Indicator (KPI)||Target||Fiscal 2020 Result|
|Fiscal 2020||Fiscal 2021||Fiscal 2022|
|At least 80%||At least 90%||At least 95%||85%|
|At least 70%||At least 70%||At least 70%||86%|
|40% (Fiscal 2022 target)||32%|
- Reporting scope : Toray Group (9-❶ and 9-❷)
Toray Group (Only specified consigners) (9-❸)
Toray Industries, Inc. (9-❹)
- 2 The shifting of freight transportation by truck or other vehicle to railways and ships, which have a smaller environmental impact
- 3 A movement aimed at ensuring stable logistics function necessary for people’s lives and for industrial activities while also contributing to economic growth in response to the shortage of truck drivers
Related Materiality for CSR
- Managing social and environmental impact of suppliers
Click here for a PDF summary of materiality-related CSR Roadmap 2022 main initiatives, KPIs and progress (PDF: 1.6MB).PDF
Looking to the Future
In recent years, there has been an increasing demand for companies to address social issues such as human rights and environmental problems throughout the supply chain. Toray Group believes that socially responsible procurement must be pursued together with suppliers. It will continue to identify and evaluate progress on CSR practices in all processes, including the procurement of raw materials and supplies across the entire Group, as well as production activities by contractors and processing vendors. Toray Group will promote greater awareness of human rights, social, environmental, and other CSR issues while mitigating risks across the supply chain.
Fiscal 2020 CSR Activity Report
Click below on activity reports for fiscal 2020