- Safety, Accident Prevention, and Environmental Preservation
- Environmental Accounting
CSR Activity Report (CSR Guideline Activity Reports) - Safety, Accident Prevention, and Environmental Preservation
Fiscal 2021 Environmental Accounting Report (Toray Industries)
Toray Industries, Inc. has been practicing environmental accounting since 1999, to track investments and gauge their cost effectiveness.
In fiscal 2021, the Company's environment-related investment amounted to 1.82 billion yen, up 0.3 billion yen compared to the previous year. Cost totaled 6.75 billion yen, down 0.81 billion yen compared to the previous year.
Fiscal 2021 Environmental Accounting Report (Toray Industries, Inc.)
|Item||Subcategory and description||Investment
|Business area costs||Pollution prevention costs||Air (including CFC countermeasures)||329||1,974|
|Noise and vibration||13||10|
|Odors and other||88||156|
|Global environment conservation costs||Energy conservation and combating global warming||186||93|
|Resource recycling costs||Industrial waste reduction, recycling, disposal, and PCB waste disposal services||29||1,252|
|Upstream and downstream costs||Product recycling||686||167|
|Container and package recycling||0||0|
|Management activity costs||Indirect labor costs, ISO certification and maintenance, environmental communications, and education||0||515|
|Social initiative costs||Regional initiatives, support for organizations, etc.||0||79|
|Environmental remediation costs||SOx fines, soil purification, etc.||0||133|
|Financial effects||Reduction in energy costs||93|
|Reduction in industrial waste disposal costs||39|
|Sale of valuable recycled resources with monetary value||601|
|Quantitative environmental effects||Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions||5,600 tons-CO2eq|
Facility Investment in Safety, Health, Accident Prevention, and Environmental Preservation Projects (Toray Group)
Toray Group reports on facility investments relating to safety, health, accident prevention, and environmental preservation projects. The Group continues to invest in safety improvements to facilities. As part of its environmental conservation efforts, the Group has invested in the expansion of exhaust gas emissions and wastewater treatment facilities and additional instrumentation to enhance wastewater management.
Toray Industries Environmental Accounting Standards
- Some categories were changed based on the Ministry of the Environment's Guidelines for FY2005.
- Only economic effects that can be determined with a high degree of certainty are included in the calculation. Presumed effects are not included.
- Capital investment also includes facility investments for which environmental preservation is not the main objective. Capital investment resulting from leases is also included. Expenses include labor costs and depreciation. However, internal labor costs related to local volunteer activities are not included.
- Energy cost reduction figures show the amount of reduction for the 12 months after the completion of an energy saving facility. Expenses are not recorded as they are deducted when the effect is calculated.
- Waste disposal cost reduction figures show the amount of reduction achieved through waste reduction efforts and resource recycling for 12 months after the measures are undertaken.
- Effects of reducing greenhouse gas emissions are measured over a 12-month period following the completion of measures or facilities to save energy.